fredag 21. desember 2012

Europe gig no.3 - June 18th 2005 - Vestlandshallen, Bergen

I remember writing this very shortly after the concert, I'm 19 1/2. 

1 year and 7 days since my very first Europe concert.
I`m in front row, right in front of Joey, in the protecting arms of my girlfriend.
I had low expectations, because one week earlier I had attended Nightwish and Mötley Crüe in Oslo, and even though my high heeled shoes were killing me, they didn't help me see nothing! In the middle of the crowd I couldn't see a thing, other than backs, asses, heads, hair and waving arms. (imagine when everyone jumps up and down and the feeling and fear of being crushed!)
I'm not telling you about the trip, the most beautiful landscape of Norway (high mountains and great lakes), I'm not even telling you about the support act (local band doing 80's cover hits).


First let me take you to outside the entrance of the big, big arena that is Vestlandshallen. Me and my girlfriend arrives around half past 6. Not many people there, but the few there are hard core fans. I don't need to say my name, cause they recognize me from the Europetheband forum. One of them asks me if I'm to stay behind to try and meet the guys afterwards. I had no intensions of doing it, because I felt I couldn't ask that of my girlfriend. She, on the other hand, is more than willing to let my inner dreams come true! Can you imagine my happiness?

It turns out that we're in the wrong line. We're in the line where you can buy tickets. We all have baught our tickets beforehand. But security is really lovely (well, no wonder, some of the fans among us have been standing there since 11 that morning...), they are going to let us in first, so we'll have the apportunity of finding first row spaces. They even gives goblets of Pepsi to those who has been there since noon. Half past 7 we are being followed by nice security men to the front row.

Now we`ll have to skip two-three hours. Support act... (doing Kiss and Van Halen among others). After support act is finished, (also known as the half hour with tuning Europe's instruments and setting it all in perfect conditione for the perfect band), one of my front row fan friends asks the very nice security guy to take a picture of her and her friend. (Oh no, she is showing him the camera!) And she asked if we were allowed to take pictures. He gives us the thumbs up, we're ALLOWED! And I have been bringing my camera IN! Great! (really a progress from my first gig, when I left it in the car, with the window open...)

In the newspaper the next day, it said that Europe was on stage precisely 10.13 p.m. I would not know, but around that time Europe shows up, and blasting us with "Got to have faith"! It's magic, once again. Europe really does a PERFECT gig (not that big shock, is it?). One song after the other is played, and we take pictures! My girlfriend, Stine protected me from the 1200 people crowd the entire concert, having to stand the hits of elbows and shouting... just gotta say: I LOVE THIS GIRL! Europe really makes the crowd rock.

 The set list is the same as last time, with new guitar solo, and new keyboard solo. My heroes play perfectly!
The set list goes as follows, though not in the right order...
Got to have faith
Superstitious
Carrie
Cherokee
Wings of tomorrow
Flames
Hero
Wake up call
Start from the dark
Yesterday news
Rock the night
Sign of the times
Girl from Lebanon
America
Ready or not
Guitar solo
Key solo
Seven doors hotel
The final countdown

After the gig: Behind lattice fences in front of the hall's exit, facing the back of the tour bus... 10-15 people is standing with us, waiting to catch a glimpse of a bass player,a singer GOD, or to get an autograph. After half an hour John L is standing in front of me. I can TOUCH him! (I know, cause I actually did it, I touched him!) I'm calling a fan friend of mine on the cell phone, and makes John say "HI" to her. I think she'll be remembering that one for some time... John is funny, saying he feels trapped like a monkey behind bars. He's making fun of the Norwegian language, (in Swedish), and suddenly takes my hat (he used my hat, he has used my hat!) He is signing our tickets, and I make him sign my left shoulder! He is a great guy!

Next comes JOEY! It's really funny, he is talking to my girlfriend, she told him that she thinks he is a music genious! And suddenly he points at me and asks: "You know eachother quite well, huh?" "Did you see us from the stage?" my girl replies. Joey smiles and nods. Spelled out, this means that Joey has seen us making out! OMG! I'm screaming, running around in circles, this is amazingly funny, same time brilliant! Joey signs my ticket and right shoulder right after Mic has done the same thing. Joey also leaves a message on my phone, I've recorded him saying "Hello darling". Mic has also touched my phone, i made him listen to a Mic-solo from 1986...
Mic: Cool, who is that?
Me: It`s you!
Mic: Really?


I shook his hand and Ian's hand. He was heading straight for the bus, but I made him join us by the fence. Only one I haven't met now is Norum. Too bad. I could have a ticket signed by all 5. But 4 is more than I ever expected. Silly me with the low expectations, used all my pictures at the concert. But I guess I don't need pics. I have live memories!
Do i have to tell you this was my best concert EVER

The next day, several friends told me they had seen me in the local paper. I'm the girl looking petrified on the right... 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar