søndag 19. februar 2017

Europe gig no.30 - November 8th 2016 - Stockholm, Sweden (part 2)

The Final Countdown anniversary show - the actual review pt.2

As the last notes of “War of Kings” faded out, so did the lights, and the stage turned dark. Up on the screens a film began, showing 8 album covers, starting with “War of kings”, then going backwards in time. Each depicted album cover had the year of the release sticking to it; “Start from the dark”, it appeared, had been released in 2005... oooops! It continued counting down through "Prisoners in Paradise" and "Out of this world", all the way down to 1986, and the album “The final countdown”.
Once again the screens were black, before an image appeared of an old (ancient) computer with a thick layer of dust. On the ‘enter’-key it said “The final countdown”. The screen on the computer came to life, showing green programming script on a black background: “Final Countdown - Processing”. The rumble had already began, and soon we could hear - what appeared to be clearer than ever before - the synthesizer intro that had hurled these five young men from the Stockholm suburbs into world fame over night 30 years ago. I don’t know if it was the acoustics of the theatre, or the thrill of the moment, but when the prerecorded intro went into the actual live playing, I could hear no distinction. No offense to the live tracks back in ‘86 and ‘87, but the sound of the keyboard onstage always sounded a bit too distinct from the prerecorded one. Not tonight, though... as I said, it could have been the locale, it could have just been wishful thinking, but to me it was perfection.
One impression from watching a clip of this song on YouTube some weeks later: When the pre-recorded intro ended and the "live" part began, you can see that the lighting on the stage and the puff of smoke is very reminiscent of the music video of the song back in 1986. Even if I didn't discover it until afterwards, I think I will let that fact morph into my own memory of how I perceived it at Cirkus as well. It's brilliant! The attention to detail and clear nod to the past!
Another aspect that fueled my thrill of hearing this song this night was the fact that it was just the beginning, not the end! I have had more than a few times of hearing the intro, then choking up, because it signals the end of another great show. But now it would be followed by 9 more songs! I was still in my home-knitted sweater at this point, but even after all those hours of standing on my feet; the song, the occasion, and the happiness kept me off my feet for the biggest part of the song; jumping up and down whenever Joey urged us to.
At one point Joey stooped down to give out a few handshakes, and my disappointment was great when he took first one hand right next to me, then another one, and then he stood back up. It was like a flashback to my second gig (Rockefeller 2004). But just as he did back then, he came back one more time, to take just one more hand in his, and this happened to be mine. Joey has some really big hands on him, my hand felt so small!
I’ve gotten quite used to being recognized from up on stage over the years. Tonight however, I didn’t feel that happening, not even during the handshake. What I noticed instead was a pack of energy-drugged grown men. I am a saxophonist, and I’ve been performing quite a few times. Initially after playing a concert, if anyone asks me how it went, I can’t answer, because my mind is all fuzzy, due to the extreme concentration it takes to perform something as well as rehearsed. In retrospect, I think this was what I saw in Joey that night. He couldn’t have recognized us in the audience if he had tried; all his focus was on performing the concert as perfectly as he could, all the while being hit with the adrenaline only performing for a sold out theatre packed with dedicated fans can produce. I mean, the band must have been halfway to heaven; they had finished half of their set, getting a massive response, and they still had to hold their focus for several songs to go; a few of which they hadn’t performed live in a very long time!
I was however very happy with my hand-holding-moment. When the song started to draw to a close, I remember thinking “which outro are they gonna use? Are they gonna use the one they did at the beginning of the shows in 1986, or the one they used on the reprise of the song at the end of the song?” It turned out, they used neither. It was a quick fade, before starting up “Rock the night”. Now it was definitely time to loose the woolen sweater!

Disclaimer: This part following now wasn't written until 3 months after the shows. I will try to share my impressions as well as I can remember them.
On "Rock the night", the 80's feeling began in full. No, the band didn't change their clothes or pull on wigs; they played the song like it was just another show. This I would've found a bit disappointing had it not been for the fact that the screen now showed clips from the band and the fans from the 80's. It was like watching those VHS-tapes from Stein-Vidar again, or browsing through old magazines featuring Europe. There were big-haired fans wearing timely clothes and make-up, there were pictures big crowds filling huge arenas all over the world.
I have previously written about how being at the front row at a Europe concert is like being at the disco with your friends, all coming out to dance to the song they like best. Except in a Europe show it's all of the songs. Being surrounded by fans during "Rock the night" at this concert was like chilling with my mate Thomas. He was also in the venue tonight, only a bit further back. But the feeling was there; just chilling (and at the same time rocking, 'cause du'uh, no couch to sit on!), sharing the same interest for the magical era. No matter how you twist and turn it, there's no hiding the fact that absolute most of the fans discovered the band Europe in the 80s. Or, if you like me discovered them later, you discovered the band Europe FROM the 80s. 

So, it felt like geeking at the hairdos, the clothes, the different concerts displayed onscreen (even if it was just stills, I bet some fans could pick out a picture naming the country or the year or the venue). Hope that makes sense... 

When "Carrie" began, the pace of the photos on the screen went down to fit the song. And the pictures now showing was another tribute to the fans. In early October, the band had asked fans on their Facebook page to send in their own photos with Europe, with Europe memorabilia, or from concerts in the past. And now some lucky fans got to see their own faces up on the screens, posing with their collection, or sporting Europe clothes, or meeting the band back in the day. I knew a lot of the faces, and enjoyed the pictures. 

I have perchance mentioned a couple of times that Carrie isn't my favourite song. It is, however, a very unique feeling to stand in a venue like Cirkus and sing your heart out at the chorus on special occasions such as this.

Have I mentioned how great the soundscape was? The collaboration between the venue itself and the excellent sound technician was displayed brilliantly on Carrie, as well as the next song

Which was "Danger on the track"! Now the focus was back on the men on stage and the brilliant lights illuminating them. It could have just been a lucky day regarding my hearing, but on this song I came to truly appreciate the job Mic and Ian do on chorusing! It felt so wonderful to have that extra element, fused together with a very prominent and majestic synthesizer, which in turn did not drown out the insistent, prowling guitar.  I loved all of it!! Especially the keyboards on this song. I have heard the song live at least once before; Europe played "Danger" in Lakselv in 2008. But I have never heard it this ... true to its origin. And it worked!

Next came Ninja, and this song was pure energy. What I have already said about "Danger" can also be said about "Ninja". I loved the cheesy synth-bridge that came right before the guitar solo, and the solo itself was so loyal to its origin.

I always LOVE Cherokee. Regarding authenticity, I wasn't thrilled when they changed the opening of Cherokee (Cherokee old intro vs new ) Least of all because my head couldn't wrap itself around what I had heard. So it left me a bit dazed and confused. But the joy soon took over. Joey vocalizing (as on the recorded version) into the guitar solo which in turn played out perfectly in to the most perfect keyboard solo was ecstacy overload. There's a reason the word musicgasm exists! I forgive you, Europe!

Next came a song that I have a tendency to forget exists. I have heard it live before; I actually heard it on my very first Europe concert (and theirs to, if I ever gave you an opportunity to forget the fact) in 2004. It didn't leave a big impression then. But it certainly did this time. The intro to "Time has come" left me open-mouthed and a bit starry eyed. It certainly didn't hurt that the beautiful lights created a most magical mood. The screens showed images portrayed in the lyrics of the song, and it showed once again that Europe had taken the concert experience to the next level. The magic didn't end until Joey closed with a soulful "Now the time has come.. for me to come back hooome".

True to the order of songs on the album, "Heart of stone" came next, and confirmed once again how many hours of rehearsal the band had put into this show. The chorusing was again pitch perfect, the keys and the strings just went hand in hand like lovers; the bass and the drums was the rhythm of life to us all. I had been looking forward to this particular song since the announcing of the shows back in March, so I can't imagine I stood much still during this song. I had way to much fun! I particularly like the drum "stops" in this song. It's so alive!

Next came a song I knew EVERYONE was very eager to experience. "On the loose" had last been played in 1990. 24 years ago. They really didn't disappoint! It was "taking out your last ounce of energy!"-time. Or, that's what I thought, because I couldn't think of another song from the album. So when "Love Chaser" started, I thought "But... isn't that one on the 'Out of this world' album?" I mixed it up with "More than meets the eye" 😄😅

I think Love Chaser reinstated itself as one of my favourite songs that night. It's a really good song, and it showed a very close-knit quintet back then, who might have grown apart in the early 90s, but are back better than ever in 2016!

And the finale was just as on the "Solna"-gig in 1986, and the "Hammersmith"-gig in 1987... it was the short version of "The song that kicked it all off", from after the guitar solo towards the end, with the time-true outtro.

After the band had left the stage and the lights had been lit again, and we could move more freely around in front of the stage, I approached other fans to let them know what a fantastic time I had had, and to ask them what they had thought. Only trouble was, I couldn't speak. Not for the lack of voice, i think that was very much intact. No, every time I opened my mouth I just laughed. I giggled. I jumped up and down. I hugged people. I fanned the air in front of my face. And I laughed. Thomas later showed me a video clip he filmed some 20 minutes after the show ended, where I had gotten my speech back, and you can hear his voice asking the people around him what they thought, huh? All of War of Kings, and all of The final countdown?", and there's me, looking into the camera, able to say "All of... all of... wooh!" 






Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar